Antimicrobial polymer additives can be added to plastics such as polypropylene and polyethylene during compounding or added as a masterbatch in the plastic extrusion process. These antimicrobial additives inhibit the growth of micro-organisms on the surface of yarns and fabrics. Common microbes such as mold, mildew, algae, yeast, etc. can be significantly reduced or retarded with the addition of antimicrobial solutions. Antimicrobial fabrics are found in building products, commercial products, healthcare products, and sports and recreation products.
Benefits of antimicrobial in yarns and fabrics are as follows:
- active protection for the life of the product.
- cleaner surface, which reduces stain and odor-causing bacteria.
- effectiveness in reducing the presence of illness-inducing bacteria.
Which One is Right For You?
Background questions that will help Belton Industries’ personnel determine the right type of antimicrobial for you.
- End-use application
- Product environment
- What is your expectation for the antimicrobial? Antimicrobial efficacy or performance requirement?
- Will other polymer additives needed to be included along with an antimicrobial additive?
- What cost considerations do we need to be aware of?
Let Us Customize a Solution For You
How can we help? If you are interested in learning more or have a product request, please contact us to determine what you need.